Description: League Park opened to the public on May 4, 1906 in Akron, Ohio. The park originally was located at the East End Grounds, but the location was unsatisfactory for play. The park then moved to the corner of Carroll and Beaver streets. The first game in the new stadium was between Newark and the Akron Tip-Tops. The Tip-Tops were a member of the Ohio & Pennsylvania League (O&P)which was considered to be a "C class" team. The Tip-Tops had much success, even winning the pennant from 1908-1911. In 1911, the O&P folded and the field became used by the University of Akron and Akron High School. It was also home to various semi-pro baseball teams. In 1920 the field became home to the Akron Pros, a charter member of the National Football League. Then in 1922 the field was sold to the Summit Growers association. The grounds were home to a farmers market from 1922-1976. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F02_015_001 Subjects: Architecture--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Sports; Sports and recreation facilities; Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Baseball; Baseball fields; Places: Akron (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: "The old water tower, a well-known landmark in Eden Park, Cincinnati, Ohio. Concrete bridge in foreground is reputed to be the first of its kind constructed in this country. June 10, 1937."
The Eden Park Stand Pipe is located in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio. The brick structure has a cylindrical water tank with a taller octagonal turret attached, was built in 1894 and is 172 feet high. The castle shaped water tower was designed by Samuel Hannaford & Sons in the Romanesque Revival style and is now used by the city as a communications facility. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980.
Located between Gilbert Avenue and Columbia Parkway (U.S.) and comprised of about 185 acres in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio, Eden Park was assembled by a series of purchases beginning in 1859. The name came, naturally, from the Garden of Eden and was given by Nicholas Longworth who owned a large tract which constitutes the main portion of the park. Eden Park is the home of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Academy, the Navigation Monument, the Capitoline Wolf Statue, and the Irwin M. Krohn (Eden Park) Conservatory. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F09_010_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Parks--Cincinnati (Ohio); Ohio. Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works. & Recreation, Division of; Parks--Ohio; Water towers--Ohio; Stand-pipes; Cincinnati (Ohio). Water Works; Concrete bridges--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Original description reads: "This interior view of the Conservatory in Eden Park shows the palm house, forty-five feet in height, with the waterfall around which many varieties of tropical palms and vines have been cultivated in imitation of an equatorial forest."
Located between Gilbert Avenue and Columbia Parkway (U.S.) and comprised of about 185 acres in the Mount Adams community of Cincinnati, Ohio, Eden Park was assembled by a series of purchases beginning in 1859. The name came, naturally, from the Garden of Eden and was given by Nicholas Longworth who owned a large tract which constitutes the main portion of the park. Eden Park is the home of the Cincinnati Art Museum, Cincinnati Art Academy, the Navigation Monument, the Capitoline Wolf Statue, and the Irwin M. Krohn (Eden Park) Conservatory.
Eden Park’s first greenhouses, built in the 1880s, were used strictly for growing plants. In 1902, a new greenhouse designed for public displays was opened. The following year, the display greenhouse held a chrysanthemum show, and the Park Board decided to maintain a consistent change of plants and flowers to keep displays new and attractive to visitors. As a result, more than 300,000 people visited the greenhouse in its first two years. In 1930, the Park Board decided to replace its old greenhouse buildings with a modern plant conservatory. The new building was designed in the Art Deco style, the leading design movement of the 1920s & ‘30s, and was built of aluminum and glass. The Eden Park Conservatory opened to the general public on Sunday, March 26, 1933. December of that year, the Conservatory began a holiday tradition of exhibiting its Educational Christmas Tree, decorated with ornaments made of natural materials and crafted by Conservatory horticulturists. On April 30, 1937, the Board officially named the new conservatory the Irwin M. Krohn Conservatory, in honor of Irwin Krohn's 25 years of service on the Board of Park Commissioners. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B03F09_019_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Parks--Cincinnati (Ohio); Ohio. Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works. & Recreation, Division of; Parks--Ohio; Botanical gardens--Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Moonlight on the Miami.
Dayton, O. Montgomery County.
See Card #53."
Island Park began in the late 19th century as an amusement park named White City Amusement Park. The park was devastated by the Great Flood of 1913, but it regained popularity when the Dayton Canoe Club began holding regattas at the park in 1913. On June 20, 1914, the park formally reopened as Island Park. The park’s name today is Island MetroPark. It is operated by Fiver River MetroParks.
Although the caption claims this photo was taken at night, it appears to be taken during the day. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B09F06_018_001 Subjects: Dayton (Ohio). Division of Recreation and Parks--Ohio--Pictorial works. Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use