Description: Photograph of a dilapidated farmhouse located in southeastern Ohio with a family sitting outside. The house is probably either a saddlebag or dogtrot-style log cabin as these were common in the Appalachian region during the 19th and early 20th centuries. There are two front porches with three people sitting on the one porch and five grouped around the other. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F06_003_1 Subjects: Dwellings; Farmhouses; Porches; Appalachian Region--History--Pictorial works; Log homes Places: Ohio
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows an unidentified two-story building with porches running the length of both floors on one side, perhaps a house or inn.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F04_022_001 Subjects: Buildings; Urbana (Ohio); Architecture; Photography--Ohio; Porches; Ohio Federal Writers' Project Places: Urbana (Ohio); Champaign County (Ohio)
Description: This is a picture of the front porches and signs of the Golden Lamb Hotel in Lebanon, Ohio. The hotel is located at the corner of Broadway and Main Street. A wooden sign hanging from the second story has a lamb painted in the center and reads in cursive script "Golden / Lamb / Hotel." On the first floor there is another sign, reading "Famous since 1815 as the / GOLDEN LAMB / And the oldest Inn still / operating as a hotel in Ohio. / Here JQ Asams, Henry Clay, / Chas Dickens and many other / famous men have stayed. / NOW A MODERN HOTEL"
The Golden Lamb, formerly the old Lebanon House, is the oldest hotel in the state of Ohio. Established by Jonas Seaman in 1803, the hotel was a success and became known for its quality food and lodging. Two years later the Warren County courthouse was built across the street, increasing the business of the Golden Lamb. The tavern served as a meeting place for troops during the War of 1812 and as a stagecoach stop during the nineteenth century. The present day, four-story building was built in 1815 during the rebuilding of the inn. The inn has had many famous guests such as Mark Twain, Charles Dickens, and twelve U.S. Presidents. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B14F07_043_001 Subjects: Golden Lamb (Lebanon, Warren County, Ohio); Historic hotels; Porches; Inn signs Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: An elderly woman smiles from her porch along North High Street in the University District of Columbus, Ohio. She holds a small kettle in her hand, possibly to water the plants on the railing. The University District includes the small neighborhoods to the east and south of The Ohio State University campus on either side of the High Street corridor.
The High Street Photograph Collection is comprised of over 400 photographs of High Street in Columbus, Ohio, taken in the early 1970s. These photographs were taken primarily at street level and document people and the built environment from the Pontifical College Josephinum on North High Street in Worthington through Clintonville, the University District and Short North, Downtown and South Columbus. The photographs were used in a television photo documentary that aired on WOSU called "High Street." Photographers that were involved in this project were Alfred Clarke, Carol Hibbs Kight, Darrell Muething, Clayton K. Lowe, and Julius Foris, Jr. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV254_B12F324_01 Subjects: Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Street photography; University District (Columbus, Ohio); Porches; Gardening; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Two photographs depict Spiegel Grove, home of President Rutherford B. Hayes and his family. The thirty-three room mansion was built by Sardis Birchard, Hayes's uncle and guardian, between 1859 and 1865. Rutherford B. Hayes especially loved the veranda of the home. In an 1873 diary entry he wrote: "The best part of the present house is the veranda. But I would enlarge it. I want a veranda with a house attached!" The home is now part of the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center, which includes a library and museum, and the tomb of the president and his wife Lucy Webb Hayes. The first image measures 5" by 7" (12.7 by 17.8 cm), the second measures 8" by 10" (20.32 by 25.4 cm). Rutherford B. Hayes (1822-1893) was the fifth child of Rutherford and Sophia Birchard Hayes, who came to Ohio in 1817 from Vermont. He was born in Delaware, Ohio, two months after the death of his father. Young Rutherford and sister Fanny Arabella were raised by their mother and her younger bachelor brother Sardis Birchard. Hayes graduated from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio in 1842 and from Harvard Law School in 1845. He began his law practice in Lower Sandusky, but moved in 1849 to Cincinnati, where he became a successful lawyer, a Republican, and an opponent of slavery. Hayes was elected to Congress during the Civil War despite his refusal to campaign. He was reelected in 1866. The following year Ohio voters elected him governor. He retired to Fremont after completing his second gubernatorial term in 1872, but was elected for a third term in 1875. That same year, the Republican Party chose Hayes as its presidential candidate. He won the 1876 election only after the creation of a special commission to decide disputed electoral votes. Honoring his commitment not to accept a second term, Hayes spent the remainder of his life at Spiegel Grove. Lucy Webb Hayes (1831-1889) was born Lucy Ware Webb in Chillicothe, Ohio. Lucy and Rutherford B. Hayes were married in 1852. They had eight children, five of whom survived to adulthood. She is noteworthy as the first wife of a president to be called "First Lady" and the first to have graduated from college. As First Lady, she banned the serving of alcohol in the White House, giving her the nickname "Lemonade Lucy." A strong anti-slavery supporter, Lucy worked for many social causes, including scholarships for Native Americans and donations for the poor. When Congress banned children from rolling out their Easter eggs on the grounds of the Capitol, Lucy invited the children to the White House. The tradition continues today. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3210_3831339_001 Subjects: Presidents and Politics; Architecture; Arts and Entertainment; Hayes, Rutherford Birchard, 1822-1893; Presidents; Houses; Porches Places: Fremont (Ohio); Sandusky County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use