Description: Photograph of a conductor and employee posed with interurban railroad car #500. Interurban railroads were electrically-powered trains that connected communities together across Ohio, providing a quick and cheap alternative to regular railroads, canals, or horses in the late 19th and early 20th century.
The first interurban line in the United States connected Newark and Granville, Ohio, while the most profitable and heavily-utilized line in Ohio was the ABC (Akron, Bedford, and Cleveland) Line. By World War I, 2,798 miles of interurban track existed within Ohio, which exceeded the next closest state by approximately 1,000 miles. The advent of the automobile quickly led to a decrease in interurban popularity among travelers, and by the early 1930s, most interurban lines in Ohio had ceased operation. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: OVS2610 Subjects: Railroads--Ohio; Transportation--Ohio--History; Travel; Cities and towns--Ohio;
Description: Panoramic photograph showing trains on a small railroad bridge in the town of Bellaire, Ohio, during the early 20th century.
Bellaire, incorporated in 1857, is located at the confluence of McMahon Creek and the Ohio River in Belmont County, Ohio. Bridges spanning the river connect people and railroads to West Virginia. Jacob Davis acquired the land on which the town was eventually laid out in 1802, naming it Bel Air after his home in Maryland. His son, Jacob Davis, Jr., laid out the town in 1834. Multiple variations of the town name were used in the early 19th century: when the first post office was established in 1841 the town was listed as Bell Air, and after 1870, the town was called Bellaire. Several railroads built lines through Bellaire in the 1850s that stimulated the growth of local industries such as coal mining, clay, limestone and glass manufacturing. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV88_B01F14_02 Subjects: Bellaire (Ohio); Ohio River; Bridges--Ohio; Trains; Transportation--Ohio; Railroads--Ohio; Places: Bellaire (Ohio); Belmont County (Ohio)
Description: Panoramic photograph showing railways and a railroad depot in the town of Bellaire, Ohio, during the early 20th century.
Bellaire, incorporated in 1857, is located at the confluence of McMahon Creek and the Ohio River in Belmont County, Ohio. Bridges spanning the river connect people and railroads to West Virginia. Jacob Davis acquired the land on which the town was eventually laid out in 1802, naming it Bel Air after his home in Maryland. His son, Jacob Davis, Jr., laid out the town in 1834. Multiple variations of the town name were used in the early 19th century: when the first post office was established in 1841 the town was listed as Bell Air, and after 1870, the town was called Bellaire. Several railroads built lines through Bellaire in the 1850s that stimulated the growth of local industries such as coal mining, clay, limestone and glass manufacturing. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV88_B01F14_01 Subjects: Bellaire (Ohio); Railroad terminals--Ohio; Railroads--Ohio; Transportation; Trains; Places: Bellaire (Ohio); Belmont County (Ohio)
Buckeye Steel Castings lining ladle with cement gunSave
Description: This photo depicts the lining of a ladle with a cement gun in the Buckeye Steel Castings taken on June 15, 1917. The Buckeye Steel Castings Company began producing iron castings in Columbus, Ohio, in 1881. It was not until it shifted to automatic steel railroad car couplers that the company exploded. By 1916, Buckeye Steel Castings claimed to be "the largest steel foundry in the world" to produce steel castings for railroads. Samuel Bush, President George Bush's grandfather, was president of Buckeye Steel during this time period.
The Buckeye Steel Castings Company closed its doors due to insufficient capital in the early 2000s. A new firm purchased the company and renamed it Columbus Steel Castings Company. This company continues to manufacture railroad-car undercarriages. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04084 Subjects: Franklin County (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Economy--Labor; Business enterprises--Ohio--Columbus; Railroads; Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Geological, railroad and township map of the state of Ohio, published in 1856 by J.H. Colton and Co. of New York. This map, showing Ohio, Lake Erie, and surrounding states, was drawn by George W. Colta and engraved by J.M. Atwood, with outlines by Charles Whittlesey showing the geological composition of the state. Also included on the map is census information for Ohio cities, transportation routes such as railroads, canals and post roads, and an inset illustration of the Ohio State Capitol. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: VFM_0031_2 Subjects: Maps--Ohio; Geology--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Railroads; Canals--Ohio--History--19th century Places: Ohio
Description: Map showing Ohio railroad lines, indicated in red along with the name of the railroad. This map was included as a fold-out in the 1950 edition of "Ohio: An Empire Within an Empire." Originally published in February 1944 by the Ohio Development and Publicity Commission, this publication documents "the resources and facilities of Ohio, taking into particular consideration war expansions." Topics covered include agriculture. forestry, mineral resources, transportation, oil, retail and wholesale trade, and much more.
According to information accompanying the map, Ohio had 8,482 miles of railroad at the time, ranking sixth in the nation for such mileage. Railroads represented include the Pennsylvania; New York Central; Baltimore and Ohio; Erie; Nickel Plate; Chesapeake and Ohio; Norfolk and Western; Wabash; Akron, Canton and Youngstown; Detroit, Toledo and Ironton; and Pittsburgh and Lake Erie. Railways in Ohio connected the state to surrounding states as well as Atlantic and Gulf ports important for import and export traffic. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: MAPVFM0095_4 Subjects: Maps--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Railroads--Ohio; Railroad stations; Natural resources--Ohio Places: Ohio
Description: Photograph of a ship named the "Carle C Conway," an ore carrier, being unloaded by a Hulett, a specialized unloading machine, at the Penn Dock in Toledo, Ohio. The Penn Dock likely refers to the freight yard and docks of the Pennsylvania Railroad along the Maumee River.
The Ohio Guide Collection consists of photographs collected for use in the Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers' Project in Ohio, 1935-1939. The collection systematically covers Ohio's characteristic features with many views of the larger cities and towns; important industries such as steel, rubber, pottery and coal; agricultural production; historical and contemporary architecture; colleges and universities; transportation systems including railroads, airways, rivers, harbors, and highways; and recreational facilities. The collection also includes photographs of Ohioans at work and play, their sports activities, and leisure time.
The Ohio Guide was published by the Federal Writers' Program of the Works Progress Administration, and sponsored by the Ohio Historical Society in 1940. Many of the photographs in this collection were included in the book. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B13F11_003_001 Subjects: Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project.; Railroads--Ohio--Toledo--Pictorial works.; Shipping industry; Ores--Transportation Places: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: "Five Avenues of Transportation South of Dayton – The Steam Train, the Electric Traction Cars, Canal Boat, Macadamized Turnpike, and Miami River. October 22, 1911." At the start of the nineteenth century, Ohio was isolated geographically. The Appalachian Mountains on the east, Lake Erie to the north, and the Ohio River to the south, isolated the state from its neighbors. During the nineteenth century, new transportation systems formed, granting Ohioans easier access to all parts of the United States of America. In the first decades of the 1800s, turnpikes originated. Water travel became easier with the advent of steamboats. Beginning in the 1820s, canals provided Ohioans with a cheaper and faster form of travel. In the 1840s and 1850s, railroads emerged, allowing Ohio residents to ship their products to market much more easily and quickly. With the start of the twentieth century, several new transportation systems, including automobiles, trucks, and airplanes, emerged. From Zane's Trace, to the Ohio and Erie Canal, to the Wright brothers, Ohioans were at the forefront of all of these transportation innovations. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F07_018_1 Subjects: Canals--Ohio; Miami and Erie Canal (Ohio)--History; Dayton (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Railroads; Roads; Geography and Natural Resources; Transportation--Ohio--History.; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use