Description: These two pictures show the Ohio River near Marietta in the 1920s. The first picture includes the town of Marietta within the photograph while the second picture focuses mainly on a railroad bridge and the Ohio River. The photographs measure 3" x 5" (7.62 x 12.7 cm). Marietta was the first organized American settlement in the Northwest Territory in 1787 by the Ohio Company of Associates. The Ohio and Muskingum Rivers played very important roles in the development of Marietta; citizens used the rivers for everything from agriculture to transportation. The emergence of railroads further heightened the economic growth of this town. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3269_5969534_001 Subjects: Transportation; Business and Labor; Geography and Natural Resources; Rivers; Cityscapes Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows the third y-shaped bridge built at the confluence of the Muskingum and Licking rivers in Zanesville. It was completed in 1832 and was replaced in 1902. In 1812 a charter was granted to Moses Dillon and others to construct a toll bridge that spanned the confluence of the Muskingum and Licking rivers, connecting Zanesville with Natchez and West Zanesville. A walled, oak-planked bridge with a central pier where the forks of a "Y" met was opened to the public in 1814. A makeshift structure, this first bridge (1814-1818) needed constant repair and collapsed into the river in 1818. A second bridge (1819-1832) was built on the same site of stronger construction, but it was condemned thirteen years later when twelve-inch-thick ice in the river weakened the superstructure. During renovation work in 1832, a section of the bride collapsed, killing two men, one of whom was Ebenezer Buckingham, an owner of the bridge. The third Y bridge (1832-1900) stood until 1900. On January 4, 1902, the fourth Y bridge (1902-1979) was opened for foot passengers. Ten days later, streetcars and wagons began to cross the bridge. In 1979, the fourth Y bridge was judged unsafe. A fifth bridge opened on November 9, 1984. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1903_1984425_005 Subjects: Transportation; Architecture; Rivers; Muskingum River (Ohio); Licking River (Ohio); Bridges; Street railroads Places: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)
Description: These three photographs, show the fourth y-shaped bridge built at the confluence of the Muskingum and Licking rivers in Zanesville. On January 4, 1902, it was opened for foot passengers. Ten days later, streetcars and wagons began to cross the bridge. In 1979, the fourth Y bridge was judged unsafe. The fifth bridge was opened on November 9, 1984. In 1812 a charter was granted to Moses Dillon and others to construct a toll bridge that spanned the confluence of the Muskingum and Licking rivers, connecting Zanesville with Natchez and West Zanesville. A walled, oak-planked bridge with a central pier where the forks of a "Y" met was opened to the public in 1814. A makeshift structure, this first bridge (1814-1818) needed constant repair and collapsed into the river in 1818. A second bridge (1819-1832) was built on the same site of stronger construction, but it was condemned thirteen years later when twelve-inch-thick ice in the river weakened the superstructure. During renovation work in 1832, a section of the bride collapsed, killing two men, one of whom was Ebenezer Buckingham, an owner of the bridge. The third Y bridge (1832-1900) stood until 1900. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om1903_1984400_002 Subjects: Transportation; Architecture; Rivers; Muskingum River (Ohio); Licking River (Ohio); Bridges; Automobiles; Buses; Street railroads; National Register of Historic Places Places: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)
Description: A park road along a body of water, most likely a river, with people and horse-drawn carriages in the foreground and wooden structures in the background. It is most likely an image of Olenatangy Park located along Olentangy River in Columbus, Ohio.
Olentangy Park was an amusement park established in 1880 in an area already popular for picnincs and swimming. It was considered the largest such park in the United States, featuring a formal picnic area, amusement rides, a carousel, a zoo, roller coaster rides, a boat house, a theater, and the world largest swimming pool.
The park's prosperity started dwindling as a result of the depression and its rides and equipment were eventually sold out between 1937 and 1939. Some remnants of the park can still be found in the area today and its carousel operates at the Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07729 Subjects: Cultural Ohio--Popular Culture; Public parks--Ohio--Columbus; Rivers--Ohio--Columbus; Recreation; Amusement parks--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio)
Description: Stereograph view of a bridge at Harper's Ferry, West Virginia (once Virginia). Harper's Ferry is located at the intersection of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The most noted event in the town's long history was on October 16, 1859, when abolitionist John Brown and a small group of followers tried unsuccessfully to capture the federal arsenal. In less than two days most of Brown's followers were killed or wounded. He was caught, tried for treason and sentenced to death. Due to the town's strategic location, it was occupied by both Union and Confederate forces during the Civil War and a great deal of the town's infrastructure was damaged. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SC5118_002 Subjects: Harpers Ferry (W. Va.) History; John Brown's Raid, 1859; Abolitionists -- Ohio; Rivers; Bridges; Places: Harper's Ferry (Virginia);
Description: This map bears the title "A Map of the Country on the Ohio and Muskingum Rivers Shewing the Situation of the Indian Towns with Respect to the Army under the Command of Colonel Bouquet." A second map on the same sheet is titled "A Survey of that part of the Indian Country through which Colonel Bouquet Marched in 1764 by Thomas Hutchins." The map, which measures 12.20 by 14.6 inches (31 x 37 cm), represents one of the oldest drawings of the Ohio country. It appeared in the book "An Historical Account of the Expedition Against the Ohio Indians, in the Year MDCCLXIV" published by William Smith in 1766. Colonel Henry Bouquet, an officer in the British military, led one of two expeditions from Fort Pitt to the Ohio country in 1764. Bouquet's mission was to obtain peace declarations from the American Indians and retrieve captives that had been taken during the French and Indian War and Pontiac's Rebellion. Thomas Hutchins recorded the sites of encampments Bouquet's men made during the 1764 expedition. Hutchins rendered the top portion of this map based on an earlier map he drew after he toured the Ohio country in 1762. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om2896_1980868_001 Subjects: Military Ohio; American Indians in Ohio; Geography and Natural Resources; Maps; Rivers Places: Northwest Territory
Description: Two photographs document the Muskingum River in Morgan County, Ohio. The first photograph, which measures 5" x 7" (12.7 x 17.78 cm), shows a group of boys fishing in the 1940s. A second photograph of a road running along the riverbank measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). It dates from the 1960s. The Muskingum River begins at the confluence of the Walhonding and Tuscarawas rivers in Coshocton, Ohio and flows south 112 miles to the Ohio River at Marietta. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3070_3670141_001 Subjects: Transportation; Sports; Plants and Animals; Rivers; Roads; Fishing; Boats Places: Morgan County (Ohio)
Description: The Taylorsville Dam, an earthen embankment located across the Great Miami River in northeastern Montgomery County near the City of Vandalia. U.S. 40 goes across the top of the dam.
The dam was built to temporarily store floodwater and has no gates or permanent pool. It is 2,980 feet long and 67 feet high. There are four concrete conduits through the base of the embankment near the east abutment. The conduits are sized to discharge a peak flow during an Official Plan Flood that can be handled by the flood protection levees and channels downstream. The remainder of the floodwaters are temporarily stored behind the dam and released over time. An emergency spillway is located directly above the conduits in the same structure.
Its construction was the result of a vigorous movement for flood protection that followed the devastation of the 1913 flood. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F09_044_1 Subjects: Geography and Natural Resources; Dams; Rivers Places: Montgomery County (Ohio)
Description: The west side of the State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, 1936. Construction of the building began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story, white marble building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Modernistic style. The building was later known as the Ohio Judicial Center until 2011, when the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05683 Subjects: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Architecture--Ohio; Rivers--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use