Butler County Emergency School homemaking classSave
Description: Dated September 19, 1936, this photograph shows young ladies who are students of the Butler County Emergency School's homemaking class. Butler County Emergency School was a Works Progress Administration program, at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The photograph's caption reads "Butler County Emergency Schools. Elm St., Oxford, Ohio, Mrs. Viola Smith, Teacher. Class in Homemaking- Cooking, Food Values, Meal Planning, Sewing, Quilting, Basketry. This class wrote a play and dramatized it in Stewart High School. From the proceeds they purchased materials to make aprons and dresses so they might learn more about sewing, designing and finishing garments." The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was a government office that hired unemployed Americans to work on various government projects from April 8, 1935 to June 30, 1943. In the first six months that the WPA existed, more than 173, 000 Ohioans, including both men and women, found employment through this program. More than 1, 500 unemployed teachers in Ohio found work through the WPA teaching illiterate adults how to read. In twelve separate counties, primarily in southeastern Ohio, more than twenty-five percent of families had at least one member working for the WPA during the late 1930s. By the end of 1938, these various workers had built or improved 12, 300 miles of roads and streets and constructed 636 public buildings, several hundred bridges, hundreds of athletic fields, and five fish hatcheries. WPA employees made improvements to thousands of more buildings, roads, and parks within Ohio. WPA artists also painted a number of murals in Ohio post offices.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F04_006_1 Subjects: African Americans; Home economics--Ohio; Schools--Ohio; Works Progress Administration; Federal Writers' Project Places: Oxford (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)
Fairfield School for Boys cafeteria photographSave
Description: Photograph showing boys eating at the Fairfield School for Boys near Lancaster, Ohio. Quoted from the historic marker outside the site, "As the nation's first and largest minimum security correctional facility, the Fairfield School for Boys (1857-1979) served over 100,000 Ohio juvenile offenders. The school was converted to an adult facility in 1980." View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL07038 Subjects: Prisons--Ohio; Schools--Ohio; Lancaster (Ohio) Places: Lancaster (Ohio); Fairfield County (Ohio)
Description: This 1931 photograph is an exterior view of the main building of the State School for the Deaf, located on Town Street in downtown Columbus, Ohio. The building was constructed in 1868 and used until 1953, when the Ohio School for the Deaf relocated to its present location on Morse Road near North High Street. At the original location, known as The Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb, children received schooling and housing on the grounds, which necessitated the position of matron to care for the children during non-school hours. The site of the Ohio State School for the Deaf is now a public park. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05139 Subjects: Ohio. State School for the Deaf--History; Education--Ohio; Schools--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This 1931 photograph is an exterior view of the main building at the Columbus Blind School, located on the corner of Parsons Avenue and Main Street in Columbus, Ohio.
Columbus Blind School was the name of this campus for the institution that was eventually renamed the Ohio State School for the Blind. Construction of this building was completed in 1874, and it was used as the Blind School until 1953, at which time the Ohio State School for the Blind moved to its present location on North High Street. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL05140 Subjects: Ohio State School for the Blind; Education--Ohio; Schools--Ohio Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use