Description: Our House--a 3-story brick tavern in the Federal style--was built in Gallipolis by Henry Cushing in 1819. The tavern boasted (in addition to its taproom, dining room, and other usual facilities), a large ballroom for social functions.
On 22 May 1825, General Lafayette visited Gallipolis and was entertained at Our House Tavern. Gallipolis still celebrates Lafayette's visit with a ceremony each spring. The Cushing family owned and operated Our House until 1865. It was purchased in 1933 by Dr. and Mrs. Charles E. Holzer. They donated it to the state in 1944 as a memorial to the French families who founded Gallipolis.
It is located at 432 1st Avenue in Gallipolis. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F10_002_001 Subjects: Taverns (Inns)--Ohio; Ohio Historical Society Places: Gallipolis (Ohio); Gallia County (Ohio)
Description: Caption reads: "The Old Log Cabin, or Newcom's Tavern, Van Cleve Park, Dayton. The O. R. M. C. MARKER read, Newcom Tavern. Dayton's first Tavern and courthouse. In the War of 1812, was quartermaster's headquarters, Col. Robert Patterson commanding. Restored by the D. A. R. for Historical Society Museum."
"Colonel George Newcom, one of Dayton's first settlers, constructed this two-story log house in 1796. Newcom engaged Robert Edgar, a millwright, to build "the best house in Dayton."
The original house consisted of one room upstairs and one room on the ground floor, with a door facing the river. In 1798, a two-story addition was added south of the original structure, with a new door facing Main Street. Since the tavern was a large two-story building, it soon became the center of village activity, as well as overnight lodging for travelers. The first court sessions were held in the tavern, and it served as a place for school and church services. The Newcoms sold the tavern in 1815, and ownership changed several times during the next twenty years. In 1838, Joseph Shaffer purchased the structure at a Sheriff's auction and converted it into a general store. The building remained "Shaffer's Store" for the next 56 years. In 1894, architect Charles Insco Williams started to raze it to make way for an apartment building when removal of the clapboards revealed the original logs. John Cotterill owned the building and offered to donate it to the city, provided it was moved off the property. Acting on the recommendations of the "Log Cabin Committee, " the city approved moving the tavern to Van Cleve Park. John H. Patterson, founder of The National Cash Register Company, paid for the move. The Daughters of the American Revolution raised money by public subscription to have it restored, and the Dayton Historical Society was organized to operate it as a museum. In the 1960s, the Montgomery Historical Society donated the tavern and related collections to Carillon Historical Park. Newcom Tavern made its final move in the fall of 1964. Today, now Dayton's oldest standing building, Newcom Tavern stands in Carillon Historical Park, approximately two miles south of its original site. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F02_008_1 Subjects: Taverns (Inns)--Ohio; Log-end Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture, Domestic--Ohio--Pictorial works.; Architecture--Ohio; Dayton (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Patterson, Robert, 1753-1827; Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph shows the old tavern in Tymochtee Township known as the "Gier House," and later as the "Long Tavern and Dance Hall." According to information accompanying the original, Henry P. Willoughby was born in the tavern on February 19, 1900. He lives today in Tiffin, Ohio. His mother's maiden name was Long. Photograph by Harry Evan Kinley (1882-1969), a native of nearby Upper Sandusky, Ohio. Kinley was active in local events and organizations, and spent his professional career as a clerk at his father's store, and later as a traveling salesman for the Marion Paper & Supply Company (1934-1962). Kinley was also an avid lifelong photographer, and the bulk of the Harry Kinley Collection is comprised of glass plate negatives documenting the Kinley family, the city of Upper Sandusky and Wyandot County and surrounding areas. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AV30_B04F05_04 Subjects: Taverns (Inns); Business enterprises--Ohio; Bars (Drinking establishments) Places: Tymochtee Township (Ohio); Wyandot County (Ohio);
Description: Taken by photographer Ihna Thayer Frary in 1921, this photograph shows a mantel in one of the upstairs bedrooms at the Headley Inn, located on the National Road four miles west of Zanesville, Ohio. The Headley Inn was originally built in 1802, and enlarged in 1833, composed mainly of dressed stone. The mantel pictured here is painted black and white, while the baseboards to either side feature a floral decoration. Inns were important stops on the Old National Road as travelers and their horses needed a place to eat and rest overnight before continuing their travels. Although many inns have since been re-purposed as hotels or demolished, the Headley Inn was restored and much of its original interior preserved. This image was published in Frary's book "Early Homes of Ohio."
Born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1873, Ihna Thayer Frary was a prominent American art and architecture scholar, whose primary interest was the architectural heritage of the region of northeastern Ohio known as the Western Reserve. In addition to serving as publicity and membership secretary of the Cleveland Museum of Art, he was a professor of Ohio and American architecture at the Cleveland Institute of Art and Western Reserve University’s School of Architecture. Over the course of his career, Frary was a design consultant for private clients and designed furniture, and was an active member of several prominent arts councils in the Cleveland area. In 1963, Frary and his two sons donated his entire photographic collection to the Ohio Historical Society (now the Ohio History Connection). The Inha Thayer Frary Collection consists of 4,000 5 x 7 photographs of private residences, churches, taverns, and public buildings, as well as select rural buildings, bridges, archaeological sites, and public monuments. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: P_112_B54A_1262_01 Subjects: Frary, I. T. (Ihna Thayer); Taverns (Inns); Domestic architecture; Interior decoration; Photography--Ohio Places: Zanesville (Ohio); Muskingum County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use