Description: Engraved images of university buildings at National Normal University, from the "26th Annual Catalogue of the Teachers and Students of the National Normal University, Lebanon, 1881." The image shows the Pentonian, Tetartian, Academy, and Hexonian buildings. The National Normal University was established in 1855 to train teachers. Due to financial difficulties the university closed in 1917.
Written across top: UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS.
Below top left depiction: PENTONIAN.
Below top right depiction: TETARTIAN.
Below center depiction: ACADEMY.
Below bottom depiction: HEXONIAN. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03860 Subjects: Adult education--Ohio; Universities and colleges Ohio; College buildings Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: Engraved images of university buildings at National Normal University, from the "26th Annual Catalogue of the Teachers and Students of the National Normal University, Lebanon, 1881." The buildings depicted are Endetian, The Principal's Residence, Heptoitian, and Duodecian. The National Normal University was established in 1855 to train teachers. Due to financial difficulties the university closed in 1917.
Written at top: UNIVERSITY BUILDINGS.
Below top depiction: ENDETIAN.
Below center depiction: THE PRINCIPAL'S RESIDENCE.
Below bottom left depiction: HEPTOITIAN.
Below bottom right depiction: DUODECIAN.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03861 Subjects: Adult education--Ohio; Universities and colleges Ohio; College buildings Places: Lebanon (Ohio); Warren County (Ohio)
Description: This print depicts the main hall of Cincinnati Wesleyan College, which was founded in 1842. The college was created to fill the need of educating young women and the original name was changed to Wesleyan Female College in 1846. It changed its name once again in 1869 to Cincinnati Wesleyan College. This image of the main building is taken from "Historical Sketches of the Higher Educational Institutions, and also of Benevolent and Reformatory Institutions of the State of Ohio," 1876. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04105 Subjects: Ohio--Religion; Universities and colleges Ohio; Women--Education - Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Armory Building at Ohio State University photographSave
Description: This photograph shows the former Armory at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio, in Franklin County. The Armory was located on North High Street and was built in 1898 and after it was damaged by a fire, was demolished in 1958-1959. This building also housed a gymnasium. The Wexner Center for the Arts currently resides on the former location of the Armory building. As an homage to the original building, the Wexner Center incorporated a turret that resembled the Armory's. This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B05F04D_007_1 Subjects: Armories; Ohio State University; Universities and colleges; College campuses--Ohio; Architecture Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: Chapel on the campus of Western Reserve College in Hudson, Ohio, ca. 1920-1945. Religious groups operated many early colleges in Ohio--Western Reserve College was closely affiliated with the Presbyterian Church. They hoped to instill good moral values in their students and create missionaries to seek and convert new members. Originally established at Hudson, Ohio, Western Reserve College moved to Cleveland in 1882. It was one of the first colleges in Ohio to admit African-American students. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03457 Subjects: Schools--Ohio; Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Universities and colleges Ohio Places: Hudson (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use