Description: Original: In memory of Mason, Simonds, & Mingus who fell near this place in battle with the Indians Sept. 29, 1812. Erected by Hon. J.R. Giddings Jan. 1858
Marker: This Monument was erected in 1857 by Joshua R. Giddings. The land on which it stands was deeded in 1911 by the Kelley Island Lime and Transport Co., to the National Society United States Daughters of 1812, State of Ohio who placed this tablet here in 1914.
Background headstone: James S. Bills, Simeon Blackman, Mathew Guy, Alexander Mason, Daniel Mingus, Equilla Putney, Valentine Ramsdell, Abraham Simons, War of 1812
Joshua Giddings was a prominent United States Congressman from Ashtabula, Ohio and a soldier in the War of 1812. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F04_004_003 Subjects: War of 1812; Monuments & memorials; Historical Marker Places: Marblehead (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio); Kelleys Island (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)
Description: Fort Amanda State Memorial is located near Wapakoneta, Ohio and the Auglaize River. The fort served as a major supply depot and hospital during the War of 1812. Although the fort was destroyed, a memorial and park mark the site. It is operated by the Ohio Historical Society. The photograph measures 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). The United States, angered by British attempts to impress American sailors into the British Navy and fearing the British presence in Canada, declared war on Great Britain in June of 1812. William Henry Harrison was appointed commander-in-chief of the Northwestern Army. He built Fort Meigs, named after Ohio Governor Return J. Meigs, near present-day Perrysburg. Supplying the fort was difficult, however, as artillery and food had to be carried through the Black Swamp. Nonetheless, Fort Meigs withstood several assaults by British troops. An attack on Fort Stephenson near Fremont forced Major George Croghan to defend the fort with only one cannon, nicknamed "Old Betsy." In one of the most significant battles of the war, Colonel Oliver Hazard Perry defeated the British at the Battle of Lake Erie in September 1813. The British captain Robert Barclay surrendered his entire fleet. Harrison learned that Perry had effectively cut the British supply line through Perry's message: "We have met the enemy and they are ours." The War of 1812 destroyed American Indian military power and confined them to reservations. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3181_4412111_001 Subjects: Military Ohio; War of 1812; Monuments & memorials; Forts & fortifications Places: Wapakoneta (Ohio); Auglaize County (Ohio)
Description: During the War of 1812, General William Hull ordered the construction of a road connecting his troops at Detroit with supply bases located in Ohio. Beginning in Dayton and passing through Urbana on its way to Detroit, Hull's Road helped advance settlement in the northwestern corner of Ohio. Many soldiers who served under Hull also returned following the War of 1812 to claim the choicest parcels of land and territory that they had first laid eyes upon while marching to Detroit along Hull's Road. The image is taken from "Tales from Ohio History for Home and School," by William Henry Venable. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03977 Subjects: United States--History--War of 1812; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Roads; Places: Dayton (Ohio); Montgomery County (Ohio); Detroit (Michigan)
Description: Oliver Hazard Perry portrait, from Ben Lossings' "Fieldbook of the War of 1812." The Battle of Lake Erie, the decisive American victory over the British fleet in the War of 1812, took place on September 10, 1813. Admiral Oliver Hazard Perry led the American fleet and wrote in a report to General William Henry Harrison the famous phrase, "We have met the enemy and they are ours: two ships, two brigs, one schooner, and one sloop." A month later, the British and American Indian forces were defeated at the Battle of the Thames near London, Ontario (Canada), ending the war. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04027 Subjects: Perry, Oliver Hazard, 1817-1864; Ohio--History--War of 1812; Ohio History--Military Ohio Places: Lake Erie
Description: This image shows a blockhouse in Mansfield that stood when Johnny Appleseed (John Chapman, 1704-1784) ran for reinforcements against a pending Indian attack during the War of 1812. Chapman immediately went to Mount Vernon for assistance. At the time of Appleseed's run, the square in Mansfield was the site of two blockhouses erected during the War of 1812. One blockhouse, constructed of round logs by a Captain Schaeffer of Fairfield County, stood at the intersection of Main Street and Park Avenue West. (The description fits this image.) Chapman risked his own life to summon aid for his neighbors in Richland County. This willingness to suffer for others was a trait Chapman exhibited throughout his life.
John Chapman was born on September 26, 1774, in Leominster, Massachusetts. Chapman is better known as Johnny Appleseed. Beginning in 1802, Chapman wandered through Pennsylvania and eventually Ohio, planting apple nurseries. He spent most of his time in Ohio in Richland County near Mansfield. Chapman was known as being somewhat of an eccentric. He opposed violence of all sorts towards both humans and animals. He was a strict vegetarian. He also primarily wore discarded clothing or would barter some apple saplings for used clothes. Many of Ohio's first orchards began with saplings from Chapman's nurseries. His trees fed many of Ohio's early white settlers as they struggled to establish farms and homes on the frontier. Johnny Appleseed eventually owned more than 1,200 acres of land across Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. He died near Fort Wayne, Indiana, in the early 1840s.
This image of the Mansfield blockhouse was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06392 Subjects: Chapman, John, 1704-1784; Appleseed, Johnny, 1774-1845; Mansfield (Ohio); War of 1812; Mansfield (Ohio); United States. Work Progress Administration Places: Mansfield (Ohio); Richland County (Ohio)
Description: Lewis Cass (1782-1866) was elected to the Ohio House of Representatives in 1806. After resigning as U.S. Marshal in 1812 to enlist in the United States Army, he played an active role in Ohio's defense during the War of 1812. During that war, President James Madison appointed Cass the governor of the Michigan Territory; he served in this position from 1813 until 1831, when President Andrew Jackson appointed Cass Secretary of War. Cass held this position until 1836, when Jackson appointed him the United States' ambassador to France, where he remained until 1842. After being elected to the United States Senate from Michigan in 1845, Cass was the Democratic presidential candidate in 1848. He lost the election and returned to Michigan, serving as one of that state's U.S. Senators until 1857, when he became President James Buchanan's Secretary of State. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03943 Subjects: Ohio History--State and Local Government; War of 1812; Governors
Description: Narrative account entitled "A Short summary of a journey, taken by volunteers from Gallia County; for the purpose of destroying Indians and the invasion of Canada," written by Nathan Newsom. Newsom was an orderly sergeant in Captain Calvin Shepard's company from Gallia County, Ohio, during the War of 1812. This volume conveys conditions experienced by soldiers during the war, including low pay, shortages of food and clothing, low morale, and severe weather conditions. Newsom also describes the cooperation of the army with friendly Indians and the disciplinary measures taken for desertion and other offenses. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: VOL516_001 Subjects: Ohio--History, Military--19th century; War of 1812--Campaign; Military life; Soldiers--Ohio; Places: Gallia County (Ohio)
Description: This is a portrait of William Hull (1753-1825), the governor of the Michigan Territory beginning in 1805. Before his service in the Northwest Territory, Hull achieved the rank of lieutenant colonel in the American Revolution. During the War of 1812, while still governor, Hull surrendered approximately 2,000 soldiers and 30 cannons on August 16, 1812, rather than going to battle to defend the city of Detroit, even though his troops outnumbered the British forces. As a result of his actions, Hull faced a court martial board during the winter of 1814-1815. He was drummed out of the Army and retired to Massachusetts. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL03976 Subjects: United States--History--War of 1812; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; American Revolutionary War, 1775-1783
Description: This photograph shows people gathered at Fort Meigs in Perrysburg, Ohio, possibly during the fort's centennial in 1913. A large crowd of people is gathered near a light-colored tent on the banks of the Maumee River, seen in the background. Several other tents are visible. A tall, light-colored obelisk Several horse-drawn buggies and carriages are on the road or parked beside it. A bicycle is propped against a fence. Women are wearing long skirts and blouses (or long dresses) typical of feminine attire in the 1910s. A U.S. flag and a tall, light-colored obelisk also are visible.
Fort Meigs, completed in 1813 in the midst of the War of 1812, was a strategic fortification along the banks of the Maumee River in present-day Perrysburg, Ohio. The fort withstood two British sieges in 1813 and became a turning point in the war in favor of the American forces. Today, the fort is the largest reconstructed wooden-walled fort in the United States and is an Ohio Historical Society site as well as a National Historic Landmark. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06158 Subjects: Fort Meigs (Ohio); United States--History--War of 1812; Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Centennial celebrations Places: Perrysburg (Ohio); Wood County (Ohio)
Description: Two photographs, taken from the top of Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial, provide an aerial view of Put-in-Bay and Lake Erie. The photographs measure 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). Perry's Victory & International Peace Memorial was dedicated in 1915 to honor Commodore Oliver Hazzard Perry's victory over the British in the Battle of Lake Erie, a decisive battle in the War of 1812. In addition, the monument was built "to inculcate the lessons of international peace by arbitration and disarmament" a tribute to the Rush-Bagot Agreement that ensured peace between the United States and Canada. Perry's Monument became a part of the National Park Service in 1936 and in 1966 it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Battle of Lake Erie took place on September 10, 1813. Admiral Oliver Hazard Perry led the American fleet. A month later, the British and American Indian forces were defeated at the Battle of the Thames near London, Ontario, Canada, ending the war. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3073_3671394_003 Subjects: Military Ohio; Arts and Entertainment; War of 1812; Monuments & memorials; Perry, Oliver Hazard, 1785-1819; National Register of Historic Places Places: Put-in-Bay (Ohio); Ottawa County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 7th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 18th.
2. Choose a product option
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio Historical Society Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use