Butler County Emergency School at Miami University photographSave
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows Butler County Emergency School, a Works Progress Administration program, at Miami University in Oxford, Ohio. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was a government office that hired unemployed Americans to work on various government projects from April 8, 1935 to June 30, 1943. In the first six months that the WPA existed, more than 173, 000 Ohioans, including both men and women, found employment through this program. More than 1, 500 unemployed teachers in Ohio found work through the WPA teaching illiterate adults how to read. In twelve separate counties, primarily in southeastern Ohio, more than twenty-five percent of families had at least one member working for the WPA during the late 1930s. By the end of 1938, these various workers had built or improved 12, 300 miles of roads and streets and constructed 636 public buildings, several hundred bridges, hundreds of athletic fields, and five fish hatcheries. WPA employees made improvements to thousands of more buildings, roads, and parks within Ohio. WPA artists also painted a number of murals in Ohio post offices.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F04_008_1 Subjects: Miami University (Oxford, Ohio)--Buildings; Education; Universities and colleges; College campuses--Ohio; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.); Ohio--History--Pictorial works; Federal Writers' Project Places: Oxford (Ohio); Butler County (Ohio)
H.C. Godman Shoe Company plant exterior photographSave
Description: Reverse reads: "The H.C. Godman Shoe company plant at Logan."
This is an external view of the H.C. Godman Shoe company plant in Logan, Ohio where workers are gathered outside.
The H.C. Godman Company was founded by Henry Clay Godman and manufactured boots and shoes in Franklin and Hocking counties.
Godman also had involvement in the Godman Guild, an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for children, families, and the community since 1898. Godman donated $10,000 for their building fund which began construction in May, 1900 and was completed in November of 1900.
Amanda Bent Bolt, now Amanda Manufacturing, occupied the building in the 1970s and 1980s. Since 1999, the Columbus Washboard Co. has used the building as its manufacturing facility. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F11_014_1 Subjects: Shoe industry--1920-1930; Godman, Henry C.; Shoe industry--Ohio.; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.) Places: Logan (Ohio); Hocking County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Landing and take-off at Lunken Airport. Credit: Myron Benson."
This photograph depicts a plane landing at Lunken airport in Cincinnati, Ohio. An American Airlines airplane prepares to take-off in the foreground.
Cincinnati Municipal Airport, also known as Lunken Field or Cincinnati Municipal Lunken Airport, was named after Eshelby Lunken. Located three miles southeast of Downtown Cincinnati, it was a commercial airport in the 1920's through the 1940's. When the original 1000-acre airfield was dedicated in 1925 it was the largest municipal airfield in the world.
Lunken Airport was supplanted by the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport in 1947 following catastrophic flooding from the Ohio River. The flooding problem prompted the airport's nickname of "Sunken Lunken". The control tower, located at the southwest corner of the airport, was almost totally submerged during the historic Ohio River flood of 1937, and now has a single black brick facing the airfield to indicate the high-water mark. Today the old control tower is home to the Lunken Cadet Squadron of the Civil Air Patrol, and is the oldest standing control tower in the United States. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B07F12_008_1 Subjects: Cincinnati Lunken Municipal Airport; Lunken Airport (Cincinnati, Ohio); American Airlines, inc.--History; Airports--Ohio; Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.) Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
85 matches on "Works Progress Administration of Ohio (U.S.)"
1. Choose a delivery format
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact email@example.com before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use