Description: Handwritten on reverse: "Barges on the Muskingum River."
This photograph shows three barges being towed by a tug boat, near Marietta, Ohio.
The Muskingum River is a tributary of the Ohio River, approximately 111 miles long, in southeastern Ohio.
The Muskingum is formed at Coshocton in east-central Ohio by the confluence of the Walhonding and Tuscarawas rivers. It flows in a meandering course southward past Conesville, Trinway and Dresden to Zanesville, and then southeastward past South Zanesville, Philo, Malta, McConnelsville, Beverly, Lowell, Stockport and Devola. It joins the Ohio at Marietta. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F18_008_1 Subjects: Muskingum River Valley (Ohio); Muskingum River (Ohio); Barges--United States Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: This is a photograph of an illustration of the Campus Martius in Marietta, Ohio, located on the east side of the Muskingum River, upriver from its confluence with the Ohio River. Situated directly across the river from Fort Harmar, construction on the Campus Martius began in 1788 and was completed in 1791. It was home to Rufus Putnam, Benjamin Tupper, Arthur St. Clair, and other settlers during the Northwest Indian War. The Campus Martius site is now occupied by the Campus Martius Museum and is an Ohio History Connection site. The Rufus Putnam House, part of the original Campus, is enclosed in the museum.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F01_007_1 Subjects: Marietta (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works; Campus Martius (Marietta, Ohio); Forts & fortifications--1770-1800 Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: Caption: Prehistoric Mound at Marietta O.
Photo of Conus mound taken between 1935-1943. The early residents of Marietta recognized the earthworks as an important cultural feature worthy of preservation. It is to their credit that as early as 1788 they enacted resolutions that set aside several of the largest mounds for continual preservation on public lands. Radiocarbon dates, internal mound structure, stone tools, and types of pottery uncovered indicate that at least some portions of the Marietta Earthworks were created by the Hopewell Culture, which flourished generally between 100 B.C. and A.D. 400. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B15F01_070 Subjects: Mounds--Ohio; Cemeteries--Ohio; Earthworks (Archaeology); Marietta (Ohio); Hopewell Culture (A.D. 1–400) Places: Marietta (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)
Description: This image shows a snowy view of the campus of Marietta College in Marietta, Ohio.
Marietta College was chartered as a private liberal arts college in 1835, proceeded by Muskingum Academy which was founded in 1797. The first president of Marietta was Rev. Joel H. Linsley, a Congregational minister. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06421 Subjects: Marietta (Ohio); Education, Higher--Ohio--History Places: Marietta (Ohio)
Description: A photograph of Marietta College's campus in Washington County. Marietta College is one of Ohio's oldest continually operating institutions of higher education.
In 1830, the Reverend Luther Bingham established the Institute for Education. Bingham was a pastor in the Congregationalist Church and sought to educate others in his church's beliefs. Unfortunately for Bingham, his school failed financially in 1832. Local citizens in Marietta then created the Marietta Collegiate Institute and Western Teachers' Seminary, a non-denominational institution. In 1835, this college became known simply as Marietta College. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06540 Subjects: Marietta (Ohio); Universities and colleges Ohio; Education, Higher--Ohio--History Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: Handwritten on reverse: "Beautiful Muskingum Valley"
This photograph shows a picturesque scene near the Muskingum River. A field of haystacks can be seen in the foreground, with gently rolling hills in the background. This photograph was probably taken somewhere near Marietta.
The Muskingum River is a tributary of the Ohio River, approximately 111 miles (179 km) long, in southeastern Ohio. It begins at Coshocton in east-central Ohio by the confluence of the Walhonding and Tuscarawas rivers. It flows in a meandering course southward past Conesville, Trinway and Dresden to Zanesville, and then southeastward past South Zanesville, Philo, Malta, McConnelsville, Beverly, Lowell, Stockport and Devola. It joins the Ohio River at Marietta. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F18_006_1 Subjects: Muskingum River Valley (Ohio) Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Description: Typed on reverse: "file 1939 under Marietta, O. Land office building, oldest building in Northwest Territory, used by General Putnam."
General Rufus Putnam was a Revolutionary War veteran and member of the Ohio Company who helped to found Marietta, Ohio and open the Northwest Territory for settlement. Putnam established the first Ohio Company settlement on the banks of the Ohio River. Known originally as Adelphia, the community soon became known as Marietta. To protect the settlement from Native American attacks, the settlers built a fortification known as the Campus Martius. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B08F18_007_1 Subjects: Marietta (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Pictorial works Places: Marietta (Ohio); Washington County (Ohio)
Rights & Reproduction Services, including OhioPix, will be closed from December 18, 2023 through January 1, 2024. We will respond to messages and resume processing high-resolution file purchases on Tuesday, January 2, 2024.
Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact [email protected] before proceeding with your order.
2. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement and Conditions of Reproduction
One-Time Use. The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of the Ohio History Connection is granted on a one-time basis only, and only for private study, scholarship or research. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
Use Agreement. Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
Credit. Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material owned by the Ohio History Connection must credit the Ohio History Connection. The credit line should read “Courtesy of the Ohio History Connection” and should include the image or call number. The Ohio History Connection appreciates receiving a copy or tearsheet of any publication/presentation containing material from the organization’s collections.
Indemnification. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Ohio History Connection as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless the OHC and its Trustees, Officers, employees and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Reproduction of Copyrighted Material. Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights.
Copyright. The Ohio History Connection provides permission to use materials based on the organization’s ownership of the collection. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials available through Ohio Memory.
Warning concerning copyright restriction: The copyright law of the U. S. (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be “used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research.” If a user make a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Photographs of Objects. The Ohio History Connection retains rights to photographs taken of artifacts owned by the Ohio History Connection. The images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use
Quality Disclaimer: To maintain the authenticity and preservation of historic artifacts, the Ohio History Connection will not alter or endanger items in the collection for the purposes of reproduction or digitization. By completing this order form, the signee acknowledges that any and all requests will be completed with conservation in mind and that the images produced will reflect the physical condition of the item which may exhibit dirt, scratches, stains, tears, fading, etc.
Rights & Reproduction Services, including OhioPix, will be closed from December 18, 2023 through January 1, 2024. We will respond to messages and resume processing high-resolution file purchases on Tuesday, January 2, 2024. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Thank you for visiting OhioPix. Please note that orders for high-resolution files will be filled within 5-10 business days of placing your order.
By clicking I Agree, I consent to the terms, and acknowledge that I am entering into a legally binding agreement.