Description: 5-ton gathering locomotive built by the Jeffrey Manufacturing Company of Columbus, Ohio in use at the Puritan Coal Corporation, Puritan, West Virginia, 1923. Gathering locomotives pulled cars from the working places in mines and made up trains for the haulage locomotives to pull from mines. This electric locomotive was powered by an overhead wire and trolley pickup on the locomotive. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL01448 Subjects: Locomotives; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places: Puritan (West Virginia)
Description: The Jeffrey Manufacturing Company, Columbus, Ohio made the Spur Haul Up Chain used to pull boats and riders up the ramp on the Shoot the Chutes ride. At the top, the boat and riders were released to slide down the chute to the water below. This ride was located at the Olentangy Amusement Park on North High Street in Columbus. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL00989 Subjects: Amusement parks--Ohio; Ohio Economy--Economy--Business Places: Columbus (Ohio)
Ohio Oil Company Victory Garden Contest photographsSave
Description: Two photographs document prize-winning examples of victory gardens in the Ohio Oil Company's Better Yard and Garden contest during World War II. The photographs were printed in the pamphlet "Manual for Company-Employee Gardens" by the National Victory Garden Institute. The pamphlet is 38 pages long and measures 6" x 9" (15.24 x 22.86 cm). During World War II (1941-1945), many people supplemented the food they had available for personal use by planting vegetable gardens, both to support the war effort and due to food shortages and rationing. The gardens were promoted widely by the government and industry, and were known as "victory gardens" due to their importance to the war effort. Gardens were planted during World War I as well, but were called "war gardens" until the end of the war, when the term "victory garden" came into use. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3308_4561940_001 Subjects: Military Ohio; Business and Labor; Agriculture; Daily Life; World War II; Victory gardens Places: Findlay (Ohio); Hancock County (Ohio); New York (New York)
Description: Photograph of employees standing in front of a Bryco gas station, located at the corner of Long and Garfield Streets in Columbus, Ohio, 1933. This was one of 14 Bryco stations in Columbus, which were all owned by local African American businessman C. W. Bryant. Charles William Bryant Jr. was born in Dayton in 1882, and from his start as a farmhand with a 3rd grade education would go on to become a prominent African American businessman, self-taught engineer, and owner of one of Columbus’ largest construction firms. The C. W. Bryant Rigging & Moving Co. was involved in major projects throughout Columbus, including the construction of a temporary Broad Street bridge following the 1913 flood, the removal of lighting arcs from High Street, and dismantling Hanford Village in 1962 for the construction of I-71.
Bryant faced racial discrimination in his personal and professional life, including the refusal of local steelworkers’ unions to admit Bryant’s black employees, which forced Bryant Co. out of steel construction in the 1950s. He nonetheless expanded into other areas, including ownership of Bryco gas stations, a coal and oil company, the Litchford and Macon hotels, and the Ohio Malt Beverage Co.-the first African American distributor in Columbus.
View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL04470 Subjects: African Americans--Ohio; Bryant, Charles William, Jr. (1882-1964); Business and Labor; Columbus (Ohio)--History--20th century; Gas stations Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)
Description: This photograph of Liederkranz cheese at a factory in Van Wert, Ohio was taken in the 1960s. Liederkranz cheese was invented by Emil Frey of Monroe, New York in the 1882, while he was trying to make Limburger cheese. Frey was a member of a Liederkranz Club, a German singing society, and named the cheese after it. He started the Monroe Cheese Company, which moved to Van Wert, Ohio in 1926 and was sold to Borden Company in 1929. Borden sold the factory to Fisher Cheese Company in 1981, but it too stopped producing Liederkranz cheese after a contamination problem in 1985. Liederkranz cheese is made from cow's milk. It has a yellow crust that is edible and a soft white inside. The photograph is 8" x 10" (20.32 x 25.4 cm). View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: Om3172_3805965_001 Subjects: Business and Labor; Dairy products industry; Cheese; Factories Places: Van Wert (Ohio); Van Wert County (Ohio)
For holiday print orders, please order by Friday, December 6th. Purchases made after this date may not arrive by December 24th. Digital files will be provided by email within 1-3 business days of purchase—please place holiday digital file orders no later than Tuesday, December 17th.
2. Choose a product option
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use