Description: Saint Lawrence Church is located at 3680 Warsaw Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio in the community of Price Hill, and was built on one of the highest hilltops in the city. Building began on this Gothic structure with the laying of the cornerstone in 1886 and was completed and dedicated by Archbishop William Henry Alder in 1894. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_031 Subjects: Churches--Ohio; Catholic churches Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: The First United Methodist Church in Mansfield. The history of the Methodist Church goes as far back as the first half of the 18th Century. The driving force behind its founding and philosophy was a man named John Wesley, who was a student at Oxford at the time when the ideas of the Methodist Church were being formed by students interested in religious study. The church became relatively popular in the early days of the United States among those living in the rugged lands being settled. It would come to be widespread throughout the state of Ohio, drawing people in with its idea that all people may go to heaven. Controversy within the Church occurred over divisions about the teachings of John Wesley and the increasingly divisive issue of whether or not it was immoral to keep slaves. This caused multiple divisions within the church and it splintered into numerous separate Methodist denominations. After over 100 years of a divided church, the various Methodist churches joined together and eventually the United Methodist Church was formed. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: AL06732 Subjects: Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Ohio--Religion; Churches--Ohio Places: Mansfield (Ohio); Richland County (Ohio)
Description: Dated ca. 1935-1940, this photograph shows The Chapel of the Holy Spirit, once located at 432 East Fifth Street in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Chapel of the Holy Spirit was a Roman Catholic church that was demolished during the 1980s when Procter & Gamble expanded its headquarters. Built in 1927, the red brick church with a Gothic limestone façade and stone and copper turret, was designed by Edward J. Schulte. Other buildings demolished during the Proctor & Gamble expansion included the Allen Temple, the Fenwick Club, and the Wesley Chapel, once the oldest religious building in the city, having been built in 1831.
This photograph is one of the many visual materials collected for use in the Ohio Guide. In 1935, President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Works Progress Administration by executive order to create jobs for the large numbers of unemployed laborers, as well as artists, musicians, actors, and writers. The Federal Arts Program, a sector of the Works Progress Administration, included the Federal Writers’ Project, one of the primary goals of which was to complete the America Guide series, a series of guidebooks for each state which included state history, art, architecture, music, literature, and points of interest to the major cities and tours throughout the state. Work on the Ohio Guide began in 1935 with the publication of several pamphlets and brochures. The Reorganization Act of 1939 consolidated the Works Progress Administration and other agencies into the Federal Works Administration, and the Federal Writers’ Project became the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio. The final product was published in 1940 and went through several editions. The Ohio Guide Collection consists of 4,769 photographs collected for use in Ohio Guide and other publications of the Federal Writers’ Project in Ohio from 1935-1939. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F09_032 Subjects: Churches; Chapels; Roman Catholic Church; Architecture; Religion in Ohio Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
Description: St. Mary's Church was established in 1837 in Chillicothe in a small building on Walnut Street. The congregation moved to a new building, St. Peter's Church, in 1845. In 1866, a new St. Mary's was built on Paint Street, next to the academy of the Sisters of Notre Dame, which is shown in the photograph. This building was purchased by St. Mary's before the new church was built. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B01F06_046_001 Subjects: Religion in Ohio; Churches Places: Chillicothe (Ohio); Ross County (Ohio)
Description: Reverse reads: "Cinci., O. Oct. 11 1937 St. Monica Church"
Exterior front of St. Monica - St. George's Catholic Church, Cincinnati, Ohio. 328 West McMillan St., Clifton Heights / Fairview neighborhood.
Completed in 1927, this early Christian Basilica style building was designed by Edward J. Schulte and Robert Crowe. It is made of gray limestone and instead of the conventional front entrance, a great crucification group, by Clement J. Barnhorn (who was award the Sax prize for this work in 1930), stands in bas-relief, extending across the main facade. The altar is marble, surmounted by a baldicino of pierced brass, on which rests a bronze figure of St. Monica, also the work of Barnhorn. A great mural on the apse dome has a background of pure gold relief, and was painted by Carl Zimmerman.. View on Ohio Memory. Image ID: SA1039AV_B02F15_017_1 Subjects: Cincinnati (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Catholic church--Ohio--Cincinnati; Schulte, Edward, 1890-1975; Crowe, Robert Emmett, 1881-1944; Barnhorn, Clement J. Places: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)
If you are purchasing this image for exhibit or other non-profit use by an Ohio cultural heritage institution, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org before proceeding with your order.
Choose a product option
3. Read and Agree
Ohio History Connection Use Agreement
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to make a photocopy or reproduction. One of the specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
Ohio History Connection (OHC) Conditions of Reproduction
The right to reproduce materials held in the collections of OHC is granted on a onetime basis only. Any further reproduction of this material is prohibited without the express written permission of the Ohio History Connection.
OHC does not sell duplications, but rather performs the service of reproduction for which a fee is charged.
Materials are reproduced for research use only and may not be used for either publication, exhibition, or any other public purpose without the express written permission of the OHC.
Any publication, exhibition, or other public use of material reproduced from the collections of OHC must credit the Ohio History Connection.
In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of OHC as described, the requestor agrees to hold harmless OHC and its Trustees, Officers, and agents either jointly or severally from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or their heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
Permission to reproduce materials in which reproduction rights are reserved must be granted by signed written permission of the persons holding those rights. Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Consideration of the requirements of copyrights is the responsibility of the author, producer, and publisher. Applicants assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and invasion of privacy that may arise in copying and using the materials.
Permission may be granted to reproduce portions of the collections of OHC. The reproduction in their entirety of any of the collections of the OHC is prohibited
On occasion, OHC may permit researchers to take photographs of collections owned by the organization. OHC retains ownership rights of images taken under these circumstances. Images may be used for research, but any publication or public display is subject to the above conditions of reproduction. A new use agreement and appropriate fees must be submitted for each use