: Flank marker of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery. This flag is halved horizontally with the top being red and the bottom a very shabby faded grey. Edged in gold fringe and in what was once gold lettering it reads: 1st REG'T Ohio.
The regiment was called upon April 21, 1861 in a letter to Colonel James Barnett from the Governor, William Dennison. Each Battery of the 1st has its own history and operated independently in battle. Their initial appointment was for three months, though most served an additional campaign for three to five years.
A flank marker is a small flag carried at each end of the regiment line. To qualify as a flank marker, it must be carried on a long pole. This flag was not cataloged in this collection. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01814 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)