: This is a photograph of a silk guidon of the 1st Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery, Battery H. This swallowtail Stars and Stripes once bore 34 stars: 12 in inner circle, 18 in outer circle, and one each in the canton's for corners.
The regiment was called upon April 21, 1861 in a letter to Colonel James Barnett from the Governor, William Dennison. Each Battery of the 1st has its own history and operated independently in battle. Their initial appointment was for three months, though most served an additional campaign for three to five years.
Battery H was quickly appointed to another 3 year campaign at Camp Dennison near Cincinnati and mustered into service November 7,1861. Major engagements in which the battery took part include Port Republic, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg (see below), the Wilderness, Spotsylvania Court House, Cold Harbor, and the siege of Petersburg. The battery was mustered out at Camp Cleveland on June 14, 1865.
Historical Marker at site of Battle of Gettysburg:
H 1st Ohio Light Artillery
3rd Volunteer Brigade
July 2d and 3d 1863.
Erected by the State of Ohio
Battery H 1st Ohio Light Artillery
Organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio,
November 7, 1861. Took part in 12 general
engagements and the siege of Petersburg.
was mustered out at Cleveland, Ohio.
June 14, 1865.
Loss at Gettysburg
2 Killed. 1 Mortally wounded. 4 Wounded. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL01821 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Battery H, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Textile--silk; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)