: Ohio battle flags were on display at the Ohio Statehouse until the 1960s, when the state formed a committee to oversee the efforts to restore the fragile flags. Some of the battle flags were on display on the Plaza Level of the Ohio Historical Society from 1970 until 1989. For conservation reasons, the flags have been in storage since 1989. In the 1960s, the collection was photographed and commercial artist Robert Needham painted illustrations of many Civil War flags. Photographs of the flags and the paintings are now part of the society's archival collections.
Top: This Stars and Stripes guidon was taken into battle by an unknown Battery of the 1st O.V.L.A. Its blue canton bears 34 stars in rows of 7-7-6-7-7.
Bottom: Below crossed cannons, red text on a gold field reads: LADY CLEVLAND. A horizontal line runs through the middle of the flag separating them. This flag was manufactured in the United States between 1861 and 1865.
The regiment was called upon April 21, 1861 in a letter to Colonel James Barnett from the Governor, William Dennison. Each Battery of the 1st has its own history and operated independently in battle. Their initial appointment was for three months, though most re-entered upon completion for an additional three to five years. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02304 Subjects
: Ceremonial artifact; Communication artifact; Military flags; Flags--Ohio, Civil War, 1861-1865; 1st Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Light Artillery; Statehouse--Ohio; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)