: A negative photograph showing a tailor shop and store in Zoar village. Led by Joseph Bimeler in 1817, a group of Lutheran separatists left the area of Germany known as Wurttemberg and eventually established the small community of Zoar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. They would become known as the Society of Separatists of Zoar in 1819. After Bimeler's death in 1853, the unity of the village declined, and by 1898 the Zoarites disbanded the society. The remaining residents divided the property, and the community continued to prosper in Zoar. Today, the Ohio Historical Society operates a portion of the town as a historic site. A number of the Zoarite buildings are restored and are open to the public.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AV9_B03F08_002_001 Subjects
: Zoar (Tuscarawas County, Ohio); Historic buildings; Small businesses Places
: Zoar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)