Combined Normal and Industrial Board photograph   Save
Ohio History Connection
Description: Photograph of the Combined Normal and Industrial Board at Wilberforce University, Wilberforce, Ohio, 1913. The Combined Normal and Industrial Department was established by the state of Ohio to provide teacher training and other vocational skills through Wilberforce University. It had a separate board of trustees, pictured in this photograph. Some of the men are identified on the reverse of the matted photograph. They are: 1. Unidentified; 2. President William S. Scarborough, PhD.; 3. Dr. Galloway, M.D.; 4. Bishop J. H. Jones, D.D.; 5. Unidentified; 6. Reverend Charles Bundy, D.D.; 7. Superintendent W. A. Joiner; 8. Dr. Johnson, M.D.; 9. Unidentified; 10. Major W. T. Anderson. Wilberforce University was established in 1856 in Greene County under the auspices of the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was named for William Wilberforce (1759-1833), an English abolitionist. The African Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the university in 1863, making it the first to be owned and run by African Americans. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: SC1489_01
Subjects: African American Ohioans; Education; Universities and colleges; Teachers--Training of; Vocational education
Places: Wilberforce (Ohio); Greene County (Ohio)