: Print depicting Fort Washington in 1790, and based on a drawing by Cap. Jon. Heart. The lithograph was first published in 1848 in Samuel Prescott Hildreth's book "Pioneer History" (Pioneer History: Being an Account of the First Examinations of the Ohio Valley, and the Early Settlement of the Northwest Territory ; Chiefly from Original Manuscripts).
The Fort, named for George Washington, was built in 1789 and 1790 on the Ohio River near modern-day Cincinnati. It was built to protect the homes of settlers in the Symmes Purchase and served as base for expeditions against Native American tribes. It was abandoned in 1803. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02875 Subjects
: Hamilton County (Ohio); Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood; Fort Washington (Ohio) Places
: Fort Washington (Ohio); Cincinnati (Ohio)