: Employees posing with mannequins outside S. Lazarus Sons & Co. at 6 North High Street in Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1885-1886. Employees include Joseph M. Parks, Joseph H. Parsons, Abe B. Cohen, Lewis E. Valentine, Frank Espy, Fred Lazarus, Sr., David M. Clinger, Charles Link, and Charles Hoover. This store was a Lazarus branch managed by Abe B. Cohen, a son-in-law of Simon Lazarus. Between 1851 and 1965, the F & R Lazarus Company retail store dominated the trade and physical landscape of Columbus. The company rose from its early years as a men's clothier in a 20 x 40 foot room downtown, to its position by 1965 as a member of the largest department store chain, Federated Department Stores. Lazarus' growth reflects that of the capital city; from small beginnings through a "golden age" of downtown development, and eventually branching out into the surrounding countryside. In 2003, the Lazarus Company was incorporated with Macy's, a member of the Federated Department stores, and is no longer View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02862 Subjects
: The F. & R. Lazarus Company (Columbus, Ohio); Employees--United States; Retail trade--Ohio--Columbus; Stores & shops; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)