: Night view of theaters on Euclid Avenue near E. 14th Street, Cleveland, Ohio ca. 1940. In the photograph, Allen, State, and Palace Theaters, three of the original theaters still in existence that make up Playhouse Square Center, can all be seen. All three playhouses were opened in the early 1920s, closed in the 1960s, and reopened in the 1980s and 1990s. Playhouse Square Center is the second largest theater complex in the U.S. behind New York's Lincoln Center. This photograph was to be included in the Cleveland Guide, one of several guides on selected American cities to be published by the Federal Writers Project. The Federal Writers Program was a depression-era program created to employ writers. Most of the work for the Cleveland Guide was complete when the program was abolished in 1943. The Cleveland Guide was not published. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL03287 Subjects
: Federal Writers' Project--1930-1950; Theaters--Ohio--Cleveland--History--20th century; Euclid Avenue (Cleveland, Ohio); Great Depression and the New Deal; United States. Works Progress Administration; Playhouse Square Center Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)