: Youngstown Sheet and Tube Company's Blackburn Plat, East Youngstown (Campbell), Ohio, ca. 1919. This subdivision was named after Silas Blackburn, the man who owned the property until his death in 1913. The company constructed this housing for mill workers and their families following a strike in the early 20th century, and deliberately made the houses small to discourage the immigrant practice of taking in boarders. These apartments were rented at $15, $18, and $20 per month with water furnished, which constituted about a quarter of the average laborer's wage. By around 1920, well over 200 homes made up Blackburn Plat. These units were occupied by southern and eastern European workers. There were amenities provided to the workers including a park, playground, and four company stores. The small units of Blackburn Plat were designed to be comfortable homes for low rent. A convenient feature of these homes were showers contained in the basement in order for the worker to clean up after a hard day's work at Youngstown Sheet and Tube. The company sold this complex, as well as three others like it, in the 1940s. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05512 Subjects
: Campbell (Ohio); Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Mills and mill-work--Ohio; Steel industry and trade--Ohio--Youngstown--History; Prefabricated houses Places
: East Youngstown (Ohio); Campbell (Ohio); Mahoning County (Ohio)