: Reconstructed buildings and garden at Schoenbrunn Village near New Philadelphia, Ohio. The word Schoenbrunn means "beautiful spring" in German. The purpose of this community, founded in 1772, was to provide Moravian missionaries a place to teach Christianity to Native Americans residing in Ohio. At its greatest size, Schoenbrunn had a population of four hundred Christian natives, mostly Delaware Indians, and more than sixty buildings, including the first school and Christian church built in Ohio. The community was abandoned in 1778 during the American Revolution, due to opposition from both sides of the war, but has since been rebuilt and is administered as an historic site by the Ohio Historical Society. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL02774 Subjects
: Schoenbrunn (Ohio); Multicultural Ohio--Religion in Ohio; Moravian Church--Missions--Ohio Places
: New Philadelphia (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)