: This photograph shows two boys selling newspapers near the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus, Ohio. The boy on the left is selling the Citizen; the boy on the right is selling the Dispatch. The photograph measures 3" x 2.75" (7.62 x 6.99 cm). The Ohio Capitol was built between 1839 and 1861 in the Greek Revival style, resembling the Parthenon in Greece. One of the best examples of Greek Revival civic architecture in the United States, it is also one of the oldest working statehouses in the nation. It is a masonry building, consisting largely of brick and Columbus limestone quarried from the west banks of the Scioto River. Seven architects worked on the project. The most notable is Nathan B. Kelly, who modified the building's plans to include heating and ventilation systems. Prisoners at the Ohio Penitentiary were used to complete portions of the construction of the building. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3153_3805421_001 Subjects
: Ohio Government; Architecture; Ohio Statehouse (Columbus, Ohio); Newspaper carriers; Newspapers Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)