: This 2.75" x 2.75" (6.99 x 6.99 cm) photograph of the Cleveland Quarries in Amherst, Ohio, was taken in the 1960s. Amherst is known for its large formation of high-quality sandstone, which runs roughly from Berea, Ohio to Amherst. The area has been labeled the "Sandstone Center of the World." John Baldwin, founder of what is now Baldwin-Wallace College, is credited with discovering the sandstone formation in 1842. Several quarries were already operating in the area. The Cleveland Stone Company bought out several of the smaller ventures in July 1886. The Ohio Quarries, owned by John R. Walsh, organized in 1903 in competition with Cleveland Stone Company. In 1929, Cleveland Stone purchased the Ohio Quarries and became the Cleveland Quarries Company. View on Ohio Memory.
: Om3028_3645077_001 Subjects
: Geography and Natural Resources; Quarries and quarrying; Excavation; Rocks Places
: Amherst (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)