: Public Square in Newark, from "Historical Collections of Ohio" by Henry Howe, 1847. Settled in 1802, Newark is the county seat of Licking County. It is located approximately thirty-five miles east of Columbus. Construction of the Ohio and Erie Canal began just south of Newark at Licking Summit in 1825. The canal led to local prosperity in the 1830's and 1840's. In 1830, Newark had a population of roughly one thousand people, and by 1840, the population had almost tripled to over 2,700 people. During the twentieth century, Newark continued to grow and prosper. In 2000, Newark's population exceeded 45,000 people. The Ohio State University at Newark is the largest of The Ohio State University's branch campuses. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL04017 Subjects
: Newark (Ohio); Ohio History--Settlement and Early Statehood Places
: Newark (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)