Columbus Central Market House photograph   Save
Works Progress Administration
Description: Prior to the development of large supermarkets, public markets allowed city residents to purchase a wide variety of fresh foods and provided farmers with outlets for their products. This 5 by 6-inch (12.70 by 15.24 cm) photograph shows a busy market day at the Central Market House in Columbus in August 1939. Built in 1850, the market was located on Fourth Street between and Town and Rich streets; for a time the building also housed city hall. It was demolished in 1966. A bus station now stands on the site. Columbus was incorporated in 1834. Not long after, the first city market was established in the block bounded by State, Town, Pearl, and Front streets. It moved in 1850 to Fourth and Town streets. The North Market on Spruce Street was built in 1876. The original building burned down in 1948 and was replaced by a war-surplus Quonset hut. It is the only market still in business. In 1947, fire destroyed the East End Market House on Mt. Vernon Avenue. The West End Market House was located on South Gift Street. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: Om1901_1980767_001
Subjects: Ohio Government; Business and Labor; Architecture; Daily Life; Markets; Municipal government
Places: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)