: This photograph shows an aerial view of downtown Columbus, Ohio, during the mid-1950s. The Broad Street and Town Street bridges over the Scioto River are in the foreground. The tallest structure is the LeVeque Tower (formerly the American Insurance Union Citadel) which was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper located at 50 West Broad Street was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, the American Insurance Union went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945.
The light-colored building situated on the Scioto's east bank between the two bridges is the Ohio Judicial Center (Ohio State Office Building). Its construction began in 1930 and was completed in 1933. The 14-story building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Modernistic style. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010.
Visible one block east of the Judicial Center is the Ohio Statehouse with its distinctive cupola dome. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05691 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Transportation and Development; Aerial views; Architecture--Ohio; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)