: This photograph gives a birds-eye view of the east bank of the Scioto River in downtown Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1960.
Visible in the left side of the photograph are the Broad Street and Town Street bridges over the Scioto River. The tallest building is the LaVeque Tower, formerly the American Insurance Union Citadel. It was dedicated on September 21, 1927. The 47-story tall skyscraper, located at 50 West Broad Street, was designed by architect C. Howard Crane in the Art Deco style. Due to the Great Depression, the American Insurance Union went bankrupt and sold the building. The tower was purchased by John Lincoln and Leslie L. LeVeque in 1945. It remained the highest tower in Columbus until 1973.
The light-colored building to the south of Leveque Tower was originally The Ohio State Office Building. Constructed during 1930-1933, the 14-story building was designed by Cincinnati architect Harry Hake and serves as a classic example of the Art Moderne style. The building was later known as the Ohio Judicial Center until 2011, when the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas J. Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010.
The Ohio Statehouse is visible in the center of the photograph (toward the right edge). View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05692 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Economy--Business; Architecture--Ohio; Aerial views; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)