: This color postcard features interior and exterior views of the Seneca Hotel, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1935. The background image shows the hotel's brick exterior from a distance, with parked cars on the street and a row of leafy trees. Four insets show the hotel lobby, the interior of a typical room, the so-called beverage room (the bar), and the Columbus Room, a dining area. The name of the hotel's vice president and general manager, James H. Michos, appears in the lower right corner of the postcard.
Designed by noted Columbus architect Frank Packard (1866-1923), the 10-story Seneca Hotel was built in 1917. It was the first high-rise structure in the city of Columbus, and it ranked among the city's most luxurious hotels. During its history the Seneca was home to the Ohio State Faculty Club and later became office space for the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. In 1987 the Ohio EPA moved out, and the Seneca remained closed until it was renovated and reopened in 2008 as a 77-unit apartment building. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05861 Subjects
: Ohio Economy--Architecture and Engineering; Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.; Hotels--Ohio--Columbus--History; Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)