: Pictured are two men walking through the doorway of the Ohio State Office Building, assessing the damage from an explosion that occurred shortly after three o'clock on the afternoon of April 14, 1932. The explosion killed 10 and injured 60 people. An investigation concluded that the cause of the explosion was a buildup of gas in an underground chamber.
Construction of the building, located at 65 South Front Street, began on October 31, 1930, in downtown Columbus. Designed by architects Harry Hake, Frank Bail and Alfred Hahn, the structure is noted as an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. Following the explosion, the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.
The building is now the Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL05980 Subjects
: Ohio History--State and Local Government; Explosions; Office buildings Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)