: This exterior photograph of the Toledo Museum of Art shows its white marble façade and sixteen ionic columns, designed in Neoclassical (Classical Revival) architectural style. The building, which opened in 1912, was designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter. The photograph’s vantage point emphasizes the museum’s landscaped environment that includes trees, shrubs, and an expanse of lawn.
The museum was founded in 1901 by two artists, an attorney, an architect, an industrialist, a realtor, and a journalist. In 1907, Edward Drummond Libbey (1854-1925) and his wife, Florence Scott Libbey, donated six acres of land on Monroe Street for the site of a new building. Libbey was the founder of the Libbey Glass Company and the Libbey-Owens Sheet Glass Company, both located in Toledo.
Since 1912 the museum campus has grown substantially. It now comprises 36 acres with six buildings. Due to the benevolences of its founders and membership support, the museum remains a privately endowed, nonprofit institution. Admission is free and open to the public six days per week, 309 days per year.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06161 Subjects
: Toledo Museum of Art; Architecture--Ohio; Toledo (Ohio); Neoclassicism (Architecture); Galleries and museums; Greek revival (Architecture); Libbey, Edward Drummond, 1854-1925 Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)