: This picture postcard shows an interior view of the Cloisters, the Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, Ohio. The color illustration reveals the stone floor and arcades, three of which were taken from a medieval cloister. The Cloisters were part of a 1933 expansion of the original Neoclassical (Classical Revival) museum building, which had been designed by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter and which opened in 1912. An earlier expansion, in 1926, added the Gothic Hall, where tapestries, sculpture, and stained glass.
Although the caption on this postcard image identifies the location as the Gothic Hall and Cloisters Gallery, the image likely shows only the Cloisters area. The Gothic Hall incorporated vaulted ribs, which are not visible in this image. In 1982 the Gothic Hall and Gallery were renovated to create space for a museum entrance on Grove Street, a grand staircase, and the Canaday Gallery.
The Toledo Art Museum was founded in 1901 by two artists, an attorney, an architect, an industrialist, a realtor, and a journalist. In 1907, Edward Drummond Libbey (1854-1925) and his wife, Florence Scott Libbey, donated six acres of land on Monroe Street for the site of a new building. Libbey was the founder of the Libbey Glass Company and the Libbey-Owens Sheet Glass Company, both located in Toledo.
Since 1912 the museum campus has grown substantially. It now comprises 36 acres with six buildings. Due to the benevolences of its founders and membership support, the museum remains a privately endowed, nonprofit institution. Admission is free and open to the public six days per week, 309 days per year.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06162 Subjects
: Toledo Museum of Art; Architecture--Ohio; Toledo (Ohio); Neoclassicism (Architecture); Galleries and museums; Greek revival (Architecture); Libbey, Edward Drummond, 1854-1925 Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)