: This photograph shows the Monroe Street entrance to the Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo, Ohio. The original building, which opened in 1912, was designed in the Neoclassical (Classical Revival) architectural style by Edward B. Green and Harry W. Wachter. The photograph’s vantage point emphasizes the museum’s landscaped environment that includes trees, shrubs, and lawn.
The Toledo Museum of Art underwent two expansions, in 1926 and in 1933. The museum's east and west wings, which are visible in this photograph, were added in 1933.
The museum was founded in 1901 by two artists, an attorney, an architect, an industrialist, a realtor, and a journalist. In 1907, Edward Drummond Libbey (1854-1925) and his wife, Florence Scott Libbey, donated six acres of land on Monroe Street for the site of a new building. Libbey was the founder of the Libbey Glass Company and the Libbey-Owens Sheet Glass Company, both located in Toledo.
Since 1912 the museum campus has grown substantially. It now comprises 36 acres with six buildings. Due to the benevolences of its founders and membership support, the museum remains a privately endowed, nonprofit institution. Admission is free and open to the public six days per week, 309 days per year.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06166 Subjects
: Toledo Museum of Art; Architecture--Ohio; Toledo (Ohio); Neoclassicism (Architecture); Galleries and museums; Greek revival (Architecture); Libbey, Edward Drummond, 1854-1925 Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)