: This photograph shows a group of school-age boys and girls looking at an Indian elephant at the Toledo Zoo. Three boys are looking back at the camera; the rest of the children are turned toward the caged elephant. The children are wearing jackets and sweaters, indicating that the weather likely was cool on the day of their visit. A printed sign posted on a column next to the cage gives background information about the elephant, who was donated to "the people of Toledo in 1923 by Sam Davis."
The Toledo Zoo began in 1900, and some of the original buildings, built by the Works Project Administration, are still in use today. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06169 Subjects
: Zoos; Toledo (Ohio); Animals; Toledo Zoo (Toledo, Ohio) Places
: Toledo (Ohio); Lucas County (Ohio)