: This drawing provides an aerial view of Cedar Point amusement park, located on a peninsula along Lake Erie, near Sandusky, Ohio. Major structures on the park grounds include the Breakers Hotel and its interconnected wings (far right); the Coliseum, which featured a large ballroom; the Grand Pavilion (center foreground); and several roller-coasters. In the distance, steamboats are visible at the dock and out on the lake. In the foreground, swimmers are enjoying the water.
Cedar Point became a popular beach resort in the late 1870s, when visitors traveled to the peninsula by steamboat from Sandusky. The Grand Pavilion (1888), the oldest building in the park, dates from this era. Promoter George Boeckling formed the Cedar Point Pleasure Resort Company in 1897 and vastly expanded the resort's attractions. During the first decade of the 1900s, he built the lagoons, an amusement circle, and several hotels, including the landmark Breakers in 1905. The Coliseum, opened in 1906, became the centerpiece of the park and hosted many of the famous big bands through the Depression and World War II years. In the late 1950s, Cedar Point began its transformation into a modern amusement park. Today it still is one of the area's major attractions.
Cedar Point includes several buildings on the National Register of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06173 Subjects
: Cedar Point (Sandusky, Ohio: Amusement park); Amusement parks--Ohio; Aerial views; Drawings and graphics; Sandusky (Ohio) Places
: Sandusky (Ohio); Erie County (Ohio)