: This photograph shows the gates to the grounds of the Taft Museum of Art, Cincinnati, Ohio. . The museum was built around 1820 as a Greek Revival villa for Martin Baum. Successive owners included Nicholas Longworth, David Sinton, his daughter Anna Sinton and her husband, Charles Phelps Taft. Charles Taft was the half brother of William Howard Taft, who accepted the nomination for the U.S. presidency under the portico of this house.
in 1927 Anna and Charles Taft donated the house and its collection of art to the people of Cincinnati with the statement "We desire to devote our collection of pictures, porcelains and other works of art to the people of Cincinnati in such a manor that they may be readily available for all." The house opened as the Taft Museum of Art in 1932. It is a National Historic Landmark.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06184 Subjects
: Art museums; Cincinnati (Ohio); Taft Museum of Art; Greek revival (Architecture); Taft, Anna Sinton, -1931; Taft, Charles Phelps, 1843-1929 Places
: Cincinnati (Ohio); Hamilton County (Ohio)