: This image of the First Congregational Church in Tallmadge, Ohio, was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
The First Congregational Church of Tallmadge was established by Reverend David Bacon in 1809. For the first several years, the congregation's services were held in Reverend Bacon's cabin. In 1821 local landowners donated timber to build this church, designed and constructed by one of Ohio's first architects, Col. Lemuel Porter. Dedicated on September 8, 1825, the structure is considered to be a perfect example of the pure Connecticut-type of Federal architecture. The Historic Tallmadge Church is currently maintained by the Ohio Historical Society. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06383 Subjects
: First Congregational Church (Tallmadge, Ohio); Architecture--Ohio; Federal Writers' Project; United States. Work Projects Administration Places
: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio); Portage County (Ohio)