: This image of the Avery-Downer House in Granville, Ohio, was among the photographs produced by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) between 1935 and 1943.
The house was built in 1842 in the Greek Revival architectural style for Alfred Avery from designs by Minard Lafever. It subsequently served as a home for the Spelman (1845-1873), Downer, and Cole families (1873-1902); and the Phi Gamma Delta (1902-1930) and Kappa Sigma (1930-1956) fraternities. Historian and antiquarian Robbins Hunter, Jr., who occupied the house from 1956 to 1979, bequeathed the house to the Licking County Historical Society. This historic house museum is on the 19th-Century National Register of Historic Places. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06385 Subjects
: Greek revival (Architecture); Granville (Ohio); Lafever, Minard; United States. Work Progress Administration; Architecture--Ohio; United States. Work Projects Administration; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Granville (Ohio); Licking County (Ohio)