Oberlin College campus photograph   Save
Oberlin College campus photograph
Description: This image shows the campus of Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio. The institution was founded by Presbyterian minister John L. Shipherd in 1832. Shipherd planned for the institution to admit both men and women. The first women formally admitted to the college program enrolled in 1837. The four women who enrolled that year made Oberlin College the first coeducational college in the United States. Three of the four women graduated with A.B. degrees in 1841. They were the first women in the United States to receive this degree. Oberlin College was also one of the first institutions of higher education to admit African Americans. View on Ohio Memory.
Image ID: AL06515
Subjects: Women--Education - Ohio; Oberlin College; African Americans--History
Places: Oberlin (Ohio); Lorain County (Ohio)