: The plaque on the rock reads "In commemoration of our patriot ancestors who served with the 8th Pennsylvania and the 13th Virginia regiments at Fort Laurens from November 18 1778 - August 2, 1779. To assure that their sacrifice to the newly founded republic was not in vain, we pledge ourselves to maintain in perpetuity these United States of America.
The Oho Society sons of the American Revolution dedicated in the bicentennial year, May 9 1976".
The rock is in Carroll County, Ohio near the site where General Lachlan McIntosh and 1200 troops camped on November 13 and 14th 1778 on their way to build a fort to provide a base for a spring campaign on Fort Detroit. The fort, Fort Laurens, was built at the present day site of Bolivar, Ohio in Tuscarawas County. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06561 Subjects
: Fort Laurens (Ohio); Memorials--Ohio; Tuscarawas County (Ohio) Places
: Malvern (Ohio); Carroll County (Ohio); Bolivar (Ohio); Tuscarawas County (Ohio)