: The Rankin house was a stop on the Underground Railroad. The Rankin House was a stop on the Underground Railroad operated by John Rankin, a Presbyterian minister. From his home on top of Liberty Hill, Rankin would signal to fugitive slaves when it was safe to cross the Ohio River. After crossing the river from Kentucky, those seeking freedom then climbed 100 wooden steps to the house, where they were given shelter and food before continuing their journey to Canada.
The house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places on July 9, 2012, and is part of the Ohio History Connection's statewide network of historic sites. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06588 Subjects
: Rankin, John, 1793-1886; Rankin House; Underground Railroad--Ohio Places
: Ripley (Ohio); Brown County (Ohio)