: This color image shows a stained-glass window in the Old Stone Church, Cleveland, Ohio. This window, entitled "The Sower" and located on the church's east wall, was dedicated in 1930. It is the first of the church's four stained-glass windows created by the Louis Comfort Tiffany studio. It also is one of two signed windows.
The First Presbyterian Society was incorporated in the Village of Cleveland, County of Cuyahoga, in 1827 by the General Assembly of the State of Ohio. Twenty-eight gentlemen and their associates constituted the Society at that time. The first church building was erected in 1834; a second, larger church constructed on the same site was dedicated in 1855. Fires in 1857 and 1884 damaged the church significantly. The 1884 fire destroyed the church's interior, which was reconstructed. The Tiffany stained-glass windows were added during this reconstruction.
Stained glass is colored glass that is often used for artistic pieces. Stain glass displayed in windows typically follows a theme in relation to the identity of its host building. As seen in the photograph, the window exhibits religious art work and was designed specially for the church. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06617 Subjects
: Old Stone Church (Cleveland, Ohio); Church buildings--Ohio; Tiffany, Louis Comfort, 1848-1933; Tiffany Studios (New York, N.Y.); Stained glass (visual works); Art--Conservation and restoration Places
: Cleveland (Ohio); Cuyahoga County (Ohio)