: This color images shows the entrance to the Mathews House, a historic building now located on the campus of Lake Erie College, Painesville, Ohio. Three steps lead to the front door, which is framed by two side lights and topped by a fanlight with ornamentation (difficult to see in this image).
The famed master architect and builder Jonathan Goldsmith (1783-1847) designed and built this well-proportioned Greek Revival residence for Dr. John H. Mathews (1785-1862), the first physician in Painesville, Ohio. The house also served as the first hospital in that community. It is considered to be one of the finest Goldsmith houses.
The house was moved to its present location on the campus of Lake Erie College from its original North State Street site in 1949. Lake Erie College is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Dr. John Henry Mathews married Martha Devotion Huntington, daughter of Samuel H. Huntington, third governor of Ohio. According to the Western Reserved Historical Society, Dr. Mathews was an abolitionist and suspected member of the Underground Railroad. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06625 Subjects
: Historic buildings--Ohio; Greek revival (Architecture); National Register of Historic Places; Mathews, John Henry, 1785-1862; Goldsmith, Jonathan, 1783-1847 Places
: Painesville (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)