: This color image is a view of the front exterior of the Kirtland Temple, Kirtland, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The three-story structure is built primarily of sandstone stuccoed with plaster. It has a steeple topped by a cupola. A sign below the pediment reads in part: "House of the Lord. Built by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints 1833-1836." Kirtland Temple achieved National Historic Landmark status in 1976.
Dedicated in 1836, Kirtland Temple was the spiritual center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (or Mormons) until the majority of Mormons there left in 1838 to follow founder Joseph Smith, Jr., westward to Missouri, Illinois, and eventually Utah. Kirtland had been the principal administrative headquarters of the Church and the major base for directing missionary work from 1831 until early 1838. Internal dissension and external persecution arose largely from the distinctive features of the religion and weakened the Mormon community in Kirtland. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06627 Subjects
: Kirtland Temple; Mormon temples; Historic buildings--Ohio; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Kirtland (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)