: This color image is a view of the side exterior of Kirtland Temple, Kirtland, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The three-story structure is built primarily of sandstone stuccoed with plaster. It has a steeple topped by a cupola. Five gable windows are located on the roof. Kirtland Temple was built by members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints between 1833 and 1836. Kirtland Temple achieved National Historic Landmark status in 1976.
Dedicated in 1836, Kirtland Temple was the spiritual center of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (or Mormons) until the majority of Mormons there left in 1838 to follow founder Joseph Smith, Jr., westward to Missouri, Illinois, and eventually, Utah. Kirtland had been the principal administrative headquarters of the Church and the major base for directing missionary work from 1831 until early 1838. Internal dissension and external persecution arose largely from the distinctive features of the religion and weakened the Mormon community in Kirtland.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06628 Subjects
: Kirtland Temple; Mormon temples; Historic buildings--Ohio; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Kirtland (Ohio); Lake County (Ohio)