: This color image is an exterior view of Old Town Hall and Academy, Tallmadge, Ohio, ca. 1960-1969. The two-story white building is located within the Tallmadge Town Square Historic District.
The Village of Tallmadge was founded in 1807. The first academy building was erected in 1815. The historic building seen in this image was erected in 1859. It was both a town hall (first floor) and the academy's new home (second floor). Until 1876 the academy served students from northeast Ohio who desired advanced courses not offered by local school systems.
Besides functioning as the town's assembly hall and auditorium, the building also housed various city government and law enforcement offices during its history. During its early years Old Town Hall hosted touring and local theatrical troupes that performed on its stage.
In 1971 the City of Tallmadge made the second floor available to the Tallmadge Historical Society for a museum. Nine years later the Tallmadge City Council leased the entire building to the Society for ninety-nine years.
View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06634 Subjects
: City & town halls; Tallmadge (Ohio); Schools--Ohio; Education--Ohio; National Register of Historic Places Places
: Tallmadge (Ohio); Summit County (Ohio)