: This photo provides an aerial view of the site where the Ohio State Office Building will be constructed in downtown Columbus, Ohio, between 1930 and 1933. This view apparently shows the site at a time when existing buildings were being torn down to make way for the new structure. Remnants of walls are visible amid the debris, and piles of lumber and rectangular frames are grouped in various areas near the site. The Scioto River reflects the arches of the Town Street Bridge. Many vehicles are parked along South Front Street and near the river bank.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.
The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn. The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06913 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)