: This photograph shows a group of men working on the construction of the Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1930-1933. Steel girders form a backdrop to the scene. The figures of three men and a wheelbarrow are the visual center of the photo. Also visible are wood planks, framing, and rows of what may be cables or rebar.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn.
The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06914 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction workers; Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)