: This photograph shows the site of the future Ohio State Office Building, Columbus, Ohio, during the early stages of its construction, ca. 1930-1931. Excavation and foundation work are well underway. A crane, power shovel, and dump truck are visible, as are stacks of lumber and structural beams. South Front Street run diagonally from the center bottom of the photo to its upper left. The Scioto River and Town Street Bridge are seen in the upper right quadrant.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.
The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn. The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest-serving chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06925 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction industry--Ohio; Power shovels; Dump trucks; Cranes, derricks, etc. Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)