: This photograph shows a group of seven men in work clothes standing on the roof of a vacant brick building located in downtown Columbus, Ohio, ca. 1929-1931. The building is being demolished in order to clear the site for the construction of the future Ohio State Office Building. The workers appear to be removing roofing material. Some windows are missing from the building, whose exterior walls are covered with posters and promotional signs. Clusters of bystanders dressed in business attire or in work clothes are gathered on the sidewalks. Motor vehicles crowd South Front Street, and two parked vehicles are seen along the bottom edge of the photograph.
Groundbreaking for the Ohio State Office Building, 65 South Front Street, took place on November 19, 1929. Construction began in October 1930, and the cornerstone was laid on May 16, 1931. An explosion damaged the structure on April 14, 1932, but the building eventually opened on March 27, 1933.The 14-story building was designed by architect Harry Hake, Frank Bail, and Alfred Hahn.
The building later became the Ohio Judicial Center. In 2011 the state Supreme Court named the center in honor of the late Chief Justice Thomas Moyer, who was the second-longest chief justice in state history at the time of his death in April 2010. The Thomas J. Moyer Ohio Judicial Center is considered an excellent example of architecture from the Art Deco period. View on Ohio Memory.
: AL06930 Subjects
: Columbus (Ohio)--Buildings, structures, etc.--Design and construction; Ohio History--State and Local Government; Ohio Judicial Center (Columbus, Ohio); Construction industry--Ohio Places
: Columbus (Ohio); Franklin County (Ohio)